Teaching From the Prompt: Fostering Critical Thinking in the AI Age - - - Teachers! What to do?

 

Fostering Critical Thinking in the AI Age - - - Teachers! What to do?

Introduction: The Death of the Blank Page


Let’s face it, as far as
artificial intelligence (AI) is concerned: “the horse is already out of the barn” --- “that ship has sailed” --- “the train has left the station.” And yet I know many teachers who refuse to acknowledge it. Never mind teachers, many people pooh-pooh it and say all kinds of things that are simply not true.

I liken this technological period like the “Salem Witch Trials” because adjectives that pop up in my mind are “hysterical,” “arbitrary,” “grim,”"mob-driven,” and “manipulative.” And at the same time, I also think that this moment in time is a watershed and cautionary time.


Instead of reacting in a precautionary manner, a more constructive approach is to understand how AI works and how to apply it responsibly, which I think should be done in the classroom. It's like learning your A,B,C's or your Times Table. Students no longer start from scratch; they naturally go to AI as it can provide instant first drafts, summaries, and outlines in seconds.


  • The Dilemma: Traditional assignments measuring basic retrieval, summary, or passive synthesis no longer reflect genuine student learning. But no one is out there telling academia this.

  • The Central Thesis: Education must pivot from evaluating final polished output to cultivating and assessing the human reasoning process behind it. Or, we should be grading student output on how they think, analyze, critically evaluate and refine their information to solve a problem.


Redefining "Critical Thinking" in an AI World

  • From Information Searchers to Critical Evaluators: The core skills are no longer researching and retrieving facts, but understanding:

    • what a good AI prompt is and is not  

    • hallucinations, how to spot them and how to fix them

    • logical leaps in concurrent thinking, 

    • missing context, 

    • and subtle AI biases within the output


For those of you who already miss going to the library and going through the card catalogue I think I made my point about that in my idiom rant above. Let’s call that memorial “The Expertise Paradox,” or not spending your time reviewing materials, but your skill set narrative should include effective prompting and cross fact-checking, which does require knowledge of the existing subject material. You cannot spot an AI error in a realm that you don't understand. So students should be pointed back to their textbooks‒— and guess what? This is going to actually increase student performance around reading.


I have been teaching at the high-education level for 30+ years, and if I compared my students’ reading prowess from the first year up to now— I’d say it is non-existent. I would also say that every semester that I teach, more and more students don’t even buy the textbook. So, if artificial intelligence causes them to actually open up their textbook to check information for a possible hallucinatory AI search— I say “great!” 


Other practical aspects of using AI in the classroom is that it actually will make students more attractive to future employers because they already have gone through the evaluating, dissecting, and expanding on AI-generated information.


I also think that this may bring back the Socratic Method through incorporating short oral defenses, peer discussions, or live Q&A that explains their reasoning in real time as to how they created their prompts, and why they think their results are the most accurate. A little on the spot competition never hurts and it does enliven the classroom.


Some other ideas that you can try in the classroom:

  • The AI Critique: Assign students to generate an AI response on a complex topic and have them explain their results line-by-line for accuracy, tone, and omission.

  • The Comparative Essay: Have students compare an AI's treatment of a topic with a primary source or textbook chapter, highlighting how the AI stays at a less deep, surface-level.

  • Personalized & Localized Context: Frame prompts around real-world scenarios, local community case studies, or classroom-specific discussions that AI cannot browse or guess. Yes, there are some things that AI can’t review, like a personalized blog like this.


Conclusion
  • You can’t count on students' capacity to fully understand artificial intelligence, but you can be assured that they will be judged on their AI skill set.

  • The Path Forward: Embrace co-creation, model transparent tech usage, and reinforce that the primary goal of education remains unchanged: building curious, independent minds that allow the student to decide how much will be AI suggestions and their own opinion of that information.


# # # #

Comments

Popular Posts