Artificial Intelligence's Amazing Ability to Clarify Data and Make Things Visually Accessible
This post is about how artificial intelligence's has an amazing ability to clarify data or information and can make documents, like a syllabus, acceptable for the new federal government requirements.
Federal laws like ADA Title II and Section 504 require public and federally funded schools to make course materials accessible to students using assistive technology, adhering to WCAG 2.1 Level AA standards. [ that's a mouthful, sorry ]
Visually impaired students can use a range of devices for accessibility to materials.
These devices can be:
- screen readers,
- refreshable braille displays,
- electronic video magnifiers (CCTVs),
- and portable text-to-speech reading machines.
All across the United States, over the past two years, higher education staff have been taking mini-courses to learn how to make their syllabi federally compliant. No one was happy with the news that the syllabi that they've been using, in some cases for over 20 years, had to be thrown out and redeveloped. I know I wasn't, but I realized the result was going to be worth the effort.
Now,let me tell you, I kept procrastinating this effort. And yesterday morning I put my money where my mouth has been. I took my 10-page syllabus that I had already updated, and wrote the following prompt Google Gemini Silver (GGS) [she/her],
and said: "Can you please take my syllabus and make it visually assessible without losing any information or intent. You can change modifying words."
5 seconds went by, and then . . . I got the result . . .
GGS created a 3-page syllabus. Initially, I said, "Wow! GGS really screwed up this time." I then printed the document and began to read it. I started to be amazed. I then took the 3-page syllabus and compared it to the 10 page one. I started to go page by page, checking all of the crucial information, and it was all there. Not only was it there--- but, oh my God! it made the syllabus more readable and effective.
I don't want to bore you with each document. (But if you want to email me -> Robert.e.griffin@gmail.com --- I can send you the two for comparison.
But, here is a great example:
I have a course policy about quizzes that is described as follows: (longer version)
All quizzes start on Friday at noon and are open until midnight on the following Friday.
Quizzes are assigned on Plato approximately every two chapters.
You may retake a quiz as many times as you’d like.
If your quiz average is 85+ at the end of the semester --- you do not have to take the final.
I will not reopen a quiz once its due date has passed
Her new version:
This is what GGS did all throughout the process. Not only does this make it easier to read, but it is going to even be easier for me to go through the syllabus on the first day. Honestly, what used to take 40 minutes--- is now going to be 15.
Amazing!
# # # #



Comments