Fine tuning your AI Prompts

 

In her online article: "How to Write Effective Prompts," (1) Martina Sun Sanchez Hernandez, attempts to codify the process, which honestly everyone needs to learn if you are using artificial intelligence (AI) on a daily basis. She says, "There's one key detail: if you don't know how to ask, you won't get accurate results. That's why mastering the art of writing prompts is as important as knowing how to use the tool."


Doing AI research is a creative process. "And as with everything in creativity: the clearer and more focused your brief is, the better the results will be." (2)

This basically means that you should do your homework when you are trying to get deeper into the subject matter that you are researching. Major AI developers (like OpenAI, Anthropic, and Google) and top prompt engineers generally agree that LLMs (large language models) process information best when it is structured, clean data rather than a rambling, incoherent paragraph.

The industry standard for an optimal, highly reliable prompt layout follows a specific structural syntax.

The Ideal Prompt Blueprint

Experts recommend stacking your prompt in ranking order layers, moving from high-level instructions down to a specific data or query.

State the Role /  Persona 

  • Example: "I am a cognitive psychology professor grading a master's level research proposal and I need to . . ."
Task Specification: State the primary objective clearly using active verbs defining exactly what to do, length constraints, and the target audience.
  •  Example: "I am a cognitive psychology professor grading a master's level research proposal and I need to verify what the three main parts of the brain are. 
Optional Inputs:
  • Context / Source Documents: If you have it --- provide the background data, reference text, or logs the model needs to analyze.
  • Constraints & "What to Do": Models handle positive instructions much better than negative ones.
  • (Instead of "What not to do") So, instead of saying "Don't make it academic," write "Use simple, everyday language suitable for a non-technical audience."
Sidenote: I often will say to my Google Gemini Silver AI Bot to make something that I have written concise and more readable and she does it every time.The Query / Trigger: Place the final question or exact call to action at the very end. of your prompt.  This keeps the immediate task fresh in the AI model's short-term attention.
  • Example: "I am an expert cognitive psychology professor grading a master's level research proposal, and I need to find what the three main parts of the brain are, and which of the three is responsible for most cognitive processing.
C'est tout!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) https://www.domestika.org/en/blog/13929-how-to-write-effective-prompts-for-chatgpt-and-other-ai-a-guide-for-creatives

(2) Ibid.

(3) The content from this point forward comes directly from a prompt that states: Can you give me a summary of what the AI Developers and experts say what a good "prompt" syntax is? The examples are my creation as well as the commentary.

                                                                              # # # # 



Comments

uminobeach.com said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts